Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why Can't We BubbleWrap Our Kids?

I'm in a very sentimental mood today, so bear with me.

Last night, Cami did not want to go to sleep, not for all the tea in China.
Small recap: She hasn't napped in the passed 3 days, she woke up at 7am yesterday, then didn't want to go to sleep until almost 10:30 last night! That is unheard of for her!!

So.. we were laying down in bed by 9pm(yes that's early,we were very sleepy!waking up 4x to pee is for the birds!) Cami drank all of her milk, that she gets at bedtime, and still wasn't asleep. She got up and jumped and pounced around on the bed, laughing and jabbering the whole time. Chris and I were both exhausted and not in the mood for it, so we ignored her. About 45 minutes later she started watching t.v. in a trance, then flopped to the end of the bed and fell asleep. Ahh finally..I tried not to move an inch so I wouldn't disturb her.

Fast forward to 1:30am..I hear her talking to Chris. "Watch daddy, wanna sit daddy" (She was crawling on top of him saying she wanted to sit on his edge of the bed instead of the middle.)Then I hear it..the most heart dropping sound. *THUNK* she fell off the bed!!!! Have you seen our bed? Uh..it's really tall and high off the ground. She screamed out in pain or terror, i'm not sure, but it brought tears to my eyes. I scooped her up and just held her and rocked her. She kept trying to go back to sleep, but I wouldn't let her. I kept waking her up to make sure she didn't have a concussion or something. Finally an hour later, I quit talking to her and let her sleep peacefully.

I just laid there thinking about all of the bad things that could happen.. It's such a scary world and I know I can't protect my kids forever, but my goodness how I wish I could. I have severe anxiety disorder and having Cami(and being preg again) has tripled it. I'm sure a lot of it is just a mom thing, but I feel that I over react to everything she does. I'm ALWAYS scared something bad is going to happen to her. It has gotten a ton better since she was an infant, but I still feel myself hyperventilating everytime she cries out in pain! So that's why I wish we could bubble wrap our kids.

7 comments:

Shanna (aka sjl202),  July 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

Hi, oh my . . you are Chris' wife! I met you the other night at Carissa's . . stumbled onto your blog thru Laura's (she is in one of my twin groups)! Great blog, you have a great writing style!

Shanna

Mama Mia,  July 31, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

They bounce back way quicker than we do...i think it hurts us more than it really hurts them....And hey why can't we wrap them in bubble wrap?

Joanna,  July 31, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

I hear ya. I've never moved so fast in my life until Michael was born. That thunk sound can get me moving faster than lightening.

Anonymous,  July 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM  

I am right there with you on wishing we couple bubble wrap the kids! It seems like the more independent Zoey becomes, the more clumsy she is. I am super paranoid that something will happen to her. When she falls down though its' so cute because when she gets up, she will scream, "I'm okay!" It's so funny!

-Bridget,  July 31, 2008 at 2:19 PM  

That happened for me a month ago with Bailey. She's so little and I felt like the worst Mom ever. Ugh!

Christine,  July 31, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

I'm sure it was more terror than pain but I'm sure it was both. I remember one time Benjamin falling off of my bed and hitting the corner of the night stand on the way down. It was awful.

I hope she's doing ok.

Kelly,  August 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

At least I am not the only one dealing wtih a 2yr old NOT sleeping!! I swear what has gotten into them lately!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP